Friday, February 25, 2011

Collage Lab 13 Basic Theory

collage lab0001

I had purchased this book a good while back. Finally got a chance to do some work out of it. Suppose to do a lab experience a week but with my schedule that’s not going to happen. lol

You can work these lab experiments in any order you want so when I saw basic color theory you know I’m going to work on that first.

All the following experiments are done in acrylic paints. I got ticked off cause I ran out of acrylic paint on two of the most important colors I was needing for this project. So I will show what I got done , then I’m going to go through all the process again using watercolors, setacolors and whatever other kind of paints I have.

First is making of the color wheel.

values0003

Play and Experiment

The Food for thought on this one is:

***Compare the color chips and the effect of the surronding colors. Take note of which combinations push the focus color back and which ones make it pop.

***Think about ways to use this in your work.

values0004values0005

values0008

For now I’m going to keep my thoughts to myself, I would like for you to answer what you think on this experiment. Then I will share what I think.

Just leave a message in the comment section on what you think!

 

Another thing that I have been working on is learning to draw. I have been taking Darrel Tank’s Five Pencil Method classes. If your interested in learning to draw go to www.fivepencilmethod.com and get signed up for the free lessons. Once I get good at this and go through the free lessons Darrel provides, then I’m going to buy his dvd’s starting with the eyes first, then on. One day maybe I can draw a portrait. That’s my goal.

I don’t get much time to play, so I get what I can do done in the amount of time I do get to get. I have almost used a pad of drawing paper just trying to learn the tapered stroke. I know I have to master this in order to come near as good as Darrel is in his drawings. Hope the pic shows good, but here’s where I have been studying values in my pencils. Using 4h,2h, hb, 2b, 4b

values0001

 

Now back to Collage Lab. I had skipped to Lab 16 Shadow and Light and got the value bar completed going from black to white. Then I couldn’t continue for running out of paint. URRRR!!!

values0002

So this is what I have been up to since the last post. Hope to be able to post some more soon.

Next week the new class at the Strathmore Workshop begins. Looking forward to that.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning - well generally I think - now that's a worry - lol - that on light background they stand out and come forward - on dark background the colours are framed by the background - so what do you think ..... lol

My Creative House said...

Thelma thanks for visiting my blog and for nice comment, your blog are great you are doing some great things, love the mail art you received.
Anni

arts4all said...

Hi Thelma,

Got lost last evening following the link to the 5 pencil method web site and forgot to comment ;-0

My first thought was "mondrian" and then I thought - "an interesting little art quilt." Then I finally looked at your question - the blue you used seems to dull the other two primary colors. In all the two sets where they are combined, my least favorite is the red with the blue. I think they cancel each other out somehow. White, of course, makes each color appear more pure, and black is a great popper.

I'm still enjoying this whole blog business, but my, it takes a lot of time!! I read posts far more often than I leave comments, but that doesn't mean I'm not still interested ;-0

i Manul said...

curious ...

crobl005 said...

Yes, drawing is devine

Eva said...

Experiments with "basic" colors have been a classic since "De Stijl" and "Bauhaus"; but both were wrong. Blue is not a basic color, nor is red. They may make nice classic modern paintings, but will never ever be the foundation for a color wheel. Instead, only cyan and magenta will work. Just try and have fun!